"The Scale of the Solution must equal the scale of the problem"
“STEM Saturdays with Dr. Mackie” will provide city-wide family, and community-based academic events each month where students and parents can attend, and learn together. STEM NOLA will partner with the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission (NORDC) to host events at NORDC facilities across the city, at the following sites: Joe Brown Park, The Treme Center, The Lyons Center and Behrman Park.
The goal of the STEM NOLA program is to engage the entire community around Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics (STEM). By holding widely publicized events on the 2nd Saturday of each month, all participants - parents, teachers, community volunteers and/or corporate volunteers, will be given an opportunity to engage students in fun, and educational STEM-Based activities. The community will be exposed to STEM activities that they can choose to participate in as a family, at any time. People in underserved communities do not take advantage of such activities because they have not been exposed. “STEM Saturdays with Dr. Mackie” will provide youth, especially urban youth, with exposure to activities and create curiosity about life, education and careers in STEM.
To participate in STEM Saturday, Parents need to pre-register their child(ren) and then complete a full registration packet. A full registration packet is needed on file before students will be allowed to participate in Saturday programming. To pre-register for STEM SATURDAYS please click here.
KEY POINTS ON STEM SATURDAYS
- STEM NOLA (SN) is an organization founded by New Orleans native, and former tenured Tulane University Engineering professor, Dr. Calvin Mackie. The purpose of its existence is to expose, inspire and engage members in the surrounding communities about the opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- "STEM Saturdays with Dr. Mackie" is only one of the components of STEM NOLA that will provide city wide family and community based hands-on academic each month. Students and parents can attend, and learn together.
- STEM Saturday and all other events will be fee based depending on the parent's economic status. Students receiving free and reduced lunch at school will be free. See Pricing
- Parents must pre-register their children online for EACH Saturday event and Complete the registration packet. The registration packet must be downloaded/printed out and returned to The STEMNOLA office via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fax (504-391-0760), or brought to the Camp Site on the day of participation. Note: The Full Registration Packet should be completed only once and must be on file with STEM NOLA.
- In 2004, Dr. Mackie received the 2003 Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring from President George H. Bush in a White House Ceremony. Dr. Mackie has been doing this work for over 20 years.
- STEM NOLA will partner with the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission (NORDC) to host such events at NORDC facilities across the city, including: Joe Brown Park, The Treme Center, The Lyons Center and Behrman Park, every second Saturday of each month starting in February 2014 (February 8th).
- Dr. Mackie's mission is to show the community that STEM-Based activities (Innovating, Creating, Building, Making and Producing) are the new recreation for the 21st Century.
- The Initial STEM NOLA Kick-Off was held on Dec 14th at Joe Brown Park and was sponsored by AXA Financial, Cox Cable of New Orleans, Councilman James Gray (District E), Channel ZerO Group and NORDC. (9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)
- Eventually there will be programming at each of the four NORDC sites on the 2nd Saturday of each month.
- Certified Teachers, College Students, and Corporate Volunteers will serve as Instructors and Mentors for STEM Saturday events.
STEM Saturdays with Dr. Calvin Mackie: Calendar (Tentative)
February 8, 2014
March 8, 2014
April 12, 2014
May 10, 2014
June 14, 2014
July 12, 2014
August 9, 2014
September 13, 2014
October 11, 2014
November 8, 2014
December 14, 2014
STEM Saturday's Pricing
Single STEM Saturday is $60/per session – includes snack.9 AM – 12:30 PM
- Register for more than 1 Saturday event or a group of children to get the best pricing.
- Siblings registering for the same Sat camp events will get multi-camp package discounts.
- Payments can be made by money order, certified check, VISA, AMEX or MasterCard.
STEM Saturday Pricing
|1 Child||2 Children||3 Children||4 Children||5 Children|
Re-Cap of the STEM Saturday Kick-Off